We recently wrote a piece about the importance of creating a template to format all of your company’s blog posts. Since then, we’ve had lots of great feedback and questions from our readers and clients, asking specifically about blog search engine optimisation (SEO).
Having helped a number of our clients on this exact topic, we understand how confusing SEO can seem. So, to help you increase traffic to your posts, we’ve put together a checklist for you to refer to before posting a blog. We like to call it ‘The Blog SEO & Conversion Checklist’.
The list covers everything you need to consider to help improve SEO, which will drive more of the right traffic to your post.
We’ve split the list into three categories to consider; Targeting, Calls to Action and Appearance. These three categories all play a role in making sure your blog connects with the reader and provides interesting and engaging content, as well as an increase in traffic.
Once you’ve posted a blog, it’s available to anyone on the internet. However, reaching your target audience can prove challenging. There is so much of the same content and messaging out there, which makes differentiating yourself from the crowd very difficult. If you make the most of SEO and keywords in your posts, you’ll be better able to get your blog in front of your key audience. So, before clicking ‘publish’, ask yourself these questions;
- Does the blog title contain relevant keywords?
- Does the blog URL (the link to the post) contain relevant keywords?
- Does the blog have a custom meta description (this is a snippet of the blog, that briefly summarizes what the blog is about) containing relevant keywords? You may need to contact your web developer or web administrator for details on how to do this.
- If there is a corresponding image (highly recommended), does the image file have relevant keywords and descriptive words in the file name? This has to be done before you upload the photo online.
- Does the image have an alt tag with relevant key words and descriptive words? Another area where you might need to contact your web developer or administrator.
- Does the blog content match the title? Don’t mislead people with a false header.
Calls to Action –
Simply having lots of information in a blog post can make it monotonous. It’s important to create some sort of interaction with the reader. Give them things to do and click, like a CTA (Call to Action). By having a CTA in the blog, you will be better able to engage with your readers and convert them into new clients. This also warms your prospects to your brand and what you offer;
- Have you hyperlinked keywords in the blog copy to other, relevant pages on the website? For example, the landing page or a downloadable guide.
- Are there clear CTA’s (Calls to Action)? Ideally more than one on the page, as mentioned above, having a CTA is important, so making sure they are clear and in keeping with the rest of the post is really important.
- Make sure all CTA’s are easy to spot and that it is evident that they are clickable.
- Are social sharing buttons enabled?
- Is there room to include a text-based CTA in the middle of the blog post? (Here is an example from a previous blog of ours, of an in-line CTA)
As well as making sure that your blog is full of interesting content, consider how the reader will respond visually? Sometimes, seeing a blog full of words can be a little daunting, consider breaking up the copy by adding in visuals that will catch the readers eye. Having images in your blog will help with SEO thanks to the key words in the alt and title tags.
- Does the blog contain at least one image?
- Is there a place to put in a statistic or graph
- Are there clear headings, sections, bullet points etc. This will help break up lengthy content and appeal to skim readers
- Make sure your headers have the proper H-Tag when you write them (again something you might want to talk to a web developer about)
Once you start implementing these tips you should start to see an increase in your readership and engagement, as you’ll have optimized your posts. By doing this you drive traffic to your website and posts, and will hopefully start to see some potential leads
To get started on generating the best content possible for your company, have a look back at our previous article on creating the perfect blog or click below to download the blog writing template…